Choosing my passion over the comparison trap!
Today I want to talk about our planning process and why it’s different from some of our fabulous planner friends.
Honesty is the best policy my friends, so here it goes.
One day about 1.5 years ago, I was sitting at a cozy coffee shop in Minneapolis, chatting with my right hand lady Felicia. Who also happens to be our Sr. Lead Floral Designer here at Jessica Wonders Events. I was telling her how I felt I was at a crossroads with my business and that I needed to choose one road or another. I felt my choices were to take a step back as a planner myself and hire a boatload of other planners to work for me, and take on a managing role, as I knew it wasn’t realistic to split my time between managing other planners, and also planning for my clients. Just simply based on how much time and extra effort I put into my clients and getting to really know them throughout the planning process, I knew I couldn’t give them 100% and manage several other planners. At the time of this conversation I had one other lead planner working for me, and three assistant planners. Now here is where my second choice of a road to go down comes in…
My second choice was to not hire on several other planners, and turn my focus to full planning clients, so that I could stay the Principle Planner of Jessica Wonders Events.
This was the road I chose to go down, after my lovely right hand lady pointed out that what I love is the planning and design process, and my happiness would decline if I were to choose to manage other planners instead.
It was only then that I realized the idea of hiring a bunch of planners, and growing my business to pound out 100+ events per year, was completely and totally based on what I thought I needed to do, it’s the only way I thought I could grow my business, I mean it makes sense right, grow your team, grow your quantity of events per year= success. Seems like a pretty straightforward plan, right!
Wrong, so so so wrong for me anyway. I am sure it's the secret sauce to happiness for others. just not for myself.
I started this business because, I genuinely have a passion for planning and design of unique and personalized events, not so I could be a manager of other people.
Here I sit 1.5 years later, over the moon happy that I chose to stick with the whole heart of this business and so happy that I didn’t let the comparison trap get to me.
The truth is, in 2017 I have planned events for the best couples, the kind who spoke to my soul, who I built true friendships with, all while enjoying the planning process from A to Z with them.
The full circle moment, is that I have never been happier in my business owning journey than I am right now, and that is worth so much more than saying my company did X amount of events this year, instead I get to say my company did events we cared about and fully enjoyed doing, for couples that we absolutely love!
The recipe to happiness for me looks a little something like this...
- We no longer offer day of coordination as a stand-alone service, it is a part of all Full Planning packages and also offered as an add-on for Floral Design or Rental orders.
- We focus on Full Planning and Design
- We only take on a limited number of events per year, allowing for a quality experience for our clients.
- I personally only take on one event per weekend
o Here is why this is important: I am available for any pre-event day events, such as rehearsal and rehearsal dinners.
o My client doesn’t need to worry that I might be focusing on an event the day after theirs, as they are my sole focus that weekend.
- I personally plan 98% of our events backed by a fabulous team that helps me execute almost flawlessly ;) Let’s be real, no events goes perfectly, that’s why you hire us as your professional fire putter outers, yes, those are made up words, but whatev!
- As part of my planning process I allow for the time to get to know my clients, but doing things my planning friends call me crazy for such as attending your bridal dress appointments, assisting as the grooms personal shopper to pick out his attire, or maybe just maybe to chat over pizza and wine just because!
- We have an in-house Floral Design team, led by our fabulous and fearless Sr. Lead Floral Designer, Felicia Kohlhagen.
o Here is why it is important that I have hired on a Floral Designer versus becoming one myself.
§ As my clients lead planner, my focus should be on coordinating all final details with the vendors and venue and client themselves the week of their event versus designing their flowers that week
§ Instead I have Felicia who has 10 years experience in floral design and she has has assistants who are trained by her to allow for a streamlined look when it comes to the design of flowers
- We have a non-stop growing inventory of the most beautiful, and new rental décor.
- We have a small team of five, or seven if you count mine and Felicia’s husbands who somehow find themselves as our personal “heavy stuff haulers” on big event days.
- We know who our ideal client is! Down to earth, with a willingness to try new ideas, and a huge love for eachother!
I cannot wait to see what 2018 holds for us!